JOIN THE COALITION
At the International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect (ICRtoP), we believe that a global network of organizations dedicated to the prevention of mass atrocities is essential to ensuring that states uphold this historic commitment to protect populations. Working in a coalition, we can draw on the expertise of the membership in all corners of the globe, and can facilitate information sharing and collaboration across borders and regions. A global civil society movement amplifies the voice of all organizations as we call on governments, regional organizations, and the international community to strengthen their capacities to prevent and halt genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity, and ethnic cleansing.
Now more than ever, the ICRtoP wants its membership to reflect the widespread civil society acceptance and support for the principles of RtoP. As such, we are seeking new members and partners to broaden and strengthen our network.
Does your organization:
• Believe that governments and the international community must protect populations from genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity, and ethnic cleansing and that more needs to be done to prevent and stop these crimes?We encourage you to apply for membership to join the International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect and be part of the ever growing global movement to prevent and halt mass atrocities.
• Agree that to protect populations from mass atrocities there needs to be a broad range of economic, political, humanitarian, and military measures available for actors at the national, regional and international levels?
• Conduct work within a related sector such as international law, humanitarian assistance, human rights, conflict prevention, refugee rights, peacebuilding, women’s rights, or peace and security?
1. The International Coalition for RtoP is a voluntary coalition of non-governmental organizations (NGOs), consistent with the principles of UN ECOSOC Resolution 1996/31, from all regions of the world.
2. The Coalition supports NGO members and networks from all sectors and with a diversity of mandates. The Coalition encourages members from all community levels: national, regional and global.
3. Academic institutions and departments are welcome to join the Coalition.
4. Membership is restricted to non-governmental organizations. Government operated and controlled NGOs, or NGOs who do not operate independently, with neutrality, and with impartiality of government influence are not eligible for membership.
5. Individuals are encouraged to support RtoP, but are not eligible for membership as the ICRtoP is a Coalition of NGOs.
6. Private sector supporters are encouraged to support RtoP but only their “not-for-profit” components are eligible for membership.
7. The Coalition will be open to national and regional RtoP networks. National or regional RtoP networks/coalitions must have prior approval from the Secretariat to be affiliated in name with the International Coalition for RtoP.
8. Members must endorse the common understanding of RtoP principles and the founding purpose of the Coalition. Any advocacy efforts that Members undertake should reflect these principles and purposes.
8. The Coalition Steering Committee is responsible for membership decisions.
This internship is with the Secretariat of the International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect (ICRtoP), hosted by WFM in New York. The Secretariat is looking for one or two interns full-time/ part-time for a period of 3-4 months. Please note that this internship is unpaid.
Fall, Spring, and Summer Internships Available
How To Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample (3-5 pages maximum) on a related topic. Please include the name of the internship in the subject of the email and in the cover letter. Be sure to indicate whether you are available full time or part time and your approximate start and end date.
Applications can be emailed, faxed or mailed to:
International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect
Attn: Internship Coordinator
708 Third Avenue, 24th floor
New York, NY 10017
Find Us On Facebook and Twitter!